Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Another day, Another appointment

Today it was the oncologist. Got signed up for the clinical trial. It's basically whether the oral version of 5-FU is more or less effective than the intravenous, and whether Oxaliplatin in addition to the 5-FU helps. If you are really interested, click this: http://www.cancer.gov/search/ViewClinicalTrials.aspx?cdrid=298755&version=patient&protocolsearchid=5382544

They'll let me know tomorrow which subgroup I've been randomized into, and whether I'll need a port put in or not. On the up side, if I get chosen for the oral version of 5-FU (Capecitabine), I won't need the port and the clinical trial will pay for all the meds. The most that will get charged to Anthem is just the 5-FU, which is the standard treatment for rectal cancer.

I had to get another blood draw and chest x-ray today. Part of the study I think. They want to make sure I'm healthy so that other conditions don't affect results of the study. I also had to fill out a 10-page questionnaire to start the trial.

I also found out today that the heavy chemo is going to start around the middle to end of February, and will last 4-6 months. So, I'm guessing the Carlisle car show is pretty much out of the question.

Another good thing, Ross Group has agreed to let me carry all my vacation from this year into next, which should give me about 5 additional weeks I can use for surgery/chemo. Hopefully I'll be able to work enough from home while on chemo that I won't have to do any short term disability. We'll see. I'm not too worried about it, though, as I've been with the company a long time, so I have a good bit of vacation, and our disability insurance is pretty good.

Today is the first time in my life (I think) that I have gotten flowers. Angela at AAA Mid Atlantic sent them. Pretty awesome, I have the absolute best customers... (to other customers that may be reading this, don't send flowers, if you really want to do something, donate to the American Cancer Society or the charity of your choice).

And finally, I really want to emphasize that everything I am being told leads me to believe that this cancer was caught pretty early. My doctors are not concerned that this is fatal, it's just a year out of my life and I'll be fine. At the end of this, my hair will grow back (if it falls out at all), I will be healthier than I started, and life will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment