Sunday, April 26, 2009

Greetings from Miami Valley Hospital

It's Sunday afternoon, surgery was yesterday. Everything is going as expected. I was done with surgery and awake by about 3 in the afternoon yesterday. I spent the afternoon on bed rest, alternating between sleeping and watching the NFL draft. Julie and the girls had a very busy day yesterday. Ashley had a track thing she had to do. She helped out at a 4th grade girls track meet. Then they went to a friend of ours' daughter's first communion. They didn't make it here to the hospital until after 8pm. Then they were all so tired they only stayed an hour or so. That's ok, it's pretty boring hanging out in somebody's hospital room.

Today, I got the catheter out, so I can now walk around. I've taken a couple walks today, which has really aggravated the pain. It's not too bad, though. My surgeon (Dr. Paul Connover, the absolute best rectal surgeon in the region) stopped in today, checked out the incision. It's a horizontal scar about 3 inches long about where an appendectomy scar would be. Looked pretty good to me.

I'm very optimistic about my recovery, we're just waiting now for my digestive system to wake up and start functioning. Once that happens I can eat regular food. Right now I'm still on a liquid diet; Jello, pudding, tomato soup, fruit juice.

This surgery is so much less of an ordeal than the last one, it's not even funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment