Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Breaking the News

Oddly enough the first to learn of my condition outside of Julie, was Bruce Patton, who happened call that afternoon. Bruce is an old friend from Germany who we hear from occasionally. Bruce is an awesome guy who made our first tour in Germany incredible. We used to go castle-ing every weekend. Sorry, getting off-topic...

When Ashley got home Julie and I sat down with her and had an honest discussion about it. She took it pretty well, I was impressed. She's such a great kid. Gloria is oblivious for now, but she's going to figure it out after awhile, and I'm afraid she's not going to deal with it very well. We'll just have to hope for the best.

That night I called Mom and Dad, I didn't really have a plan so I just sort of blurted it out. I suppose I should have had a rehearsed speach to break it to them gently. In retrospect, to them it was a bomb from out of the blue, and for that I apologize.

I also sent an email to Rachelle, and to Mike (coward's way out for sure). I didn't really know what to say or how to say it.

The next day, Tuesday, I informed my boss Richard. Obviously this is going to affect my ability to be at work. I'm still under the delusion that I can fight this and continue to be a productive member of the team.

As of now, four or five people at work know, my immediate family know, and our best friends Tom and Joanne know (Julie told them). Fortunately Joanne is an Anthem nurse and is going to help me pick doctors and stuff.

I guess the next step is to let the extended family know (Buster, Tom, Gramma Mott, etc.). I don't know if I should send a card, "Hope your day is going well, by the way I have cancer", or call or what. I think I'll opt for "what" for now.

1 comment: