Thursday, October 23, 2008

Next steps

The doctor says there'll be an operation soon to remove the tumor (which by the way is technically in the rectum, not the colon). They'll probably schedule radiation to reduce the size of the tumor (it is large-ish) before removing it. The big risk here is that the tumor is very near the sphincter and there is a distinct possibility they'll remove the sphincter in the process. Now, as I have grown quite fond of my sphincter's ability to keep the nastiness inside over the years, this bums me out considerably. If that happens, it means I'll be carrying my crap around in a bag for the rest of my life. Beats death I suppose.

Today I had a PET/CT scan. They took pictures of my innards. Tomorrow I'll be chatting with my doctor about the results and what happens next. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment