Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Finally some good news

Today I had an endoscopic ultrasound in order to positively determine what stage the cancer is. From the PET scan and previous exams, I was led to believe that it was stage III or IV, based on my doctor's concern about a couple lymph nodes next to the tumor. The exam today established the stage as IIA (T3,N0,M0). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_cancer for details on what that means. Basically, this means I will likely get treatment and surgery for this and be just fine at the end. I'll still be doing the whole radiation and chemotherapy thing, but the survival rate for my particular stage is very high.

(from http://coloncancer.about.com/od/cancerstatistics/a/US_Survival_CC.htm)
Five-Year Survival Statistics:
Stage 1 Colon Cancer: 93%
Stage 2A Colon Cancer: 85%
Stage 2B Colon Cancer: 72%
Stage 3A Colon Cancer: 83%
Stage 3B Colon Cancer: 64%
Stage 3C Colon Cancer: 44%
Stage 4 Colon Cancer: 8%

All in all, this is very good news, and we are doing our little happy dance today.

6 comments:

  1. We're happy dancing at the office too! And sighing a little sigh of relief. Things finally sound a little more positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear! A beer is on me whenever you'd like to collect.

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic news! If I had rhythm, I'd dance too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Al you hang in there. You are in my thoughts.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Al, having been there myself...this is excellent news! We all wish you well. Someday, you and I might share our journals.

    Joe Bednarz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry that you are on this journey Al and I wish you smooth travels through this. Thanks for sharing this with all of us so that we can have the privilege of standing behind you to offer support.

    God bless,
    The Patterson Family
    Cumberland, Rhode Island

    ReplyDelete