Wednesday, November 5, 2008

More appointments

Today it was just the lining up of the radiation. They basically did a CT scan, and marked a few X's on my body with a Sharpie so they can line up the machinery. First radiation treatment will be on Monday.

I found out today I will be in Group 2 of the study, 5-FU with oxaliplatin. On Friday I go in and get a port put in. It will be just under my skin, so they can pump the chemo into a vein. From wikipedia:

A port consists of a reservoir compartment (the portal) that has a silicone bubble for needle insertion (the septum), with an attached plastic tube (the catheter). The device is surgically inserted under the skin in the upper chest or in the arm and appears as a bump under the skin. It requires no special maintenance and is completely internal so swimming and bathing are not a problem. The catheter runs from the portal and is surgically inserted into a vein (usually the jugular vein, subclavian vein, or superior vena cava.)


My weekly schedule from now until Christmas:

Monday: Go to the oncologist and get a fanny pack full of chemo stuff hooked up to the PICC Line. Then I go to the radiologist and get zapped.
Tuesday: 8:30am get zapped
Wednesday: 8:30am get zapped
Thursday: 8:30am get zapped
Friday: 8:30am get zapped, then go to oncologist's office and give the fanny pack back.

I get weekends and Thanksgiving off.

2 comments:

  1. Alan,
    I just got a message from Julie on the TS Parents forum, I wanted to let you know that we are praying for you.
    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al,
    Eat, drink and enjoy life.
    Do you have a new perspective on what you want to do the next 50 years????

    ReplyDelete